What is you’re favourite pathology under the microscope?
For Amanda, it’s an ameloblastoma. So much so that she had mugs made up to use as Christmas presents! I think that is the perfect way to summarise her blend of passion, education and fun she brings to what she shares all over social media.
A spoonful of Oral Medicine is where she brings all this energy and education together to help share her passion with her colleagues and patients.
Oral medicine for many is not the most exciting topic. I don’t recall my favourite histological pattern or the microbiology of certain pathologies. But we can all agree it is a critical discipline that we perform every day, without even noticing it. The extra-oral and intra-oral exam can literally save your patients life. Good thing Amanda shares her process right her in the podcast!
In This Episode
- 00:36 – COVID-19, how dentists are stepping up, hand washing, and PPE
- 11:59 – Amanda’s journey that lead her into practice ownership and then specializing in Oral Medicine
- 18:25 – Advice for those interested in pursueing practice ownership
- 24:50 – Perspectives on specialists’ scope of practice
- 29:40 – Cases Amanda is sent, areas where these are common to see, and systemizing your oral examination
- 43:01 – Breaking bad news to patients using the SPIKES Protocol
- 51:27 – Common mistakes Amanda sees grads making
- 58:04 – Tips for new grads, including dealing with patients that have temporomandibular joint disorder and tracking your referring patients
- A spoonful of Oral Medicine
- I encourage everyone to sift through this great blog. Tons of excellent content.
- The SPIKES protocol
Prime Head Start
The Prime Head Start Segment is right after the feature interview and this episode it’s with Patric Moberger about what our patients remember from appointments. And it’s no secret that it is not very much!
Patric shares some tips on how to improve this, the key message may be something you hadn’t even thought of before.
Prime Practice are working hard on getting their content out to you in a digital format through this COVID-19 shutdown. Keep your eyes and ears peeled.
For Dental Head Start listeners, Prime Practice are offering their leading communication course, Primespeak, at 15% off for everyone and a massive 50% off for students and recent graduates. Check out www.dentalheadstart.com/primeheadstart to get your hands on the discount codes.
In this exceptionally difficult time for our profession, we need to look at the silver lining. With time, we can work on ourselves and work on our dentistry. And what better way then the RIPE Academy by Restoring Excellence.
In an attempt to make it affordable for all around the world, it is just $29USD per month for some of the most valuable online content anywhere in the world.
My crown prep workflow is modelled on Lincoln’s video from the academy 3 years ago!
I hope to share the benefits and exclusive offers through DHS. Check out their Online Academy!
How do you find CPD? It is such a difficult task, with courses listed here and there but you never know you’ve seen them all.
www.cpdjunkie.com.au has been created to provide all Dental CPD in the one place. Search by keyword, date, discipline, location, speaker or organiser – however you want to find it, you can.
Make an account and you gain access to:
- Alerts – get emailed when courses on the topics you love are released
- Wishlist – make a list of your favourites
- Reviews – review your favourite courses and see reviews from your peers before you make the commitment
- CPD log – track your cpd in one place
- CPD Junkie Newsletter – cpd tips, newest courses and industry updates. FREE!
Make your account now and get your next CPD Fix.
The Dental Head Start Podcast is for students and new graduates. We interview successful dentists and specialists to uncover the tips, tricks and advice to help you transition from dental school to private practice successfully.
If you like this content then I ask just one thing of you; share this with a friend who will benefit from this and help us help more students and new grads!
For every share and tag on social media, we provide dental hygiene to a child for a day. For every listen to the podcast, we provide drinking water to someone for a day. Find out more at www.dentalheadstart.com/giving