Do you know someone who snores? Or perhaps someone who stops breathing when they sleep?
Often this is due to obstructive sleep apnoea and those who suffer from this can have huge impacts on their quality of life.
As dentists, we can help these patients. Be it simply screening and referring to medical colleagues or treatment with a mandibular advancement splint once diagnosed. This can be life changing.
There is no one better in Australia to learn dental sleep medicine from than Dr Harry Ball. Working exclusively in dental sleep medicine for 20years, Harry is the founder of a dental sleep medicine dedicated clinic in Melbourne, as well as the Dental Sleep Institute – an online education platform for general dentists.
If you’re interested in dental sleep medicine or want to learn more, this episode is for you.
- 6:06 – Why Harry decided to take a break from general dentistry and advice for dentists searching for job satisfaction.
- 14:13 – Harry shares his some counselling tips to deal with patients who are stressed and anxious.
- 20:30 – What is TMD, how it’s caused, and what are the fixes.
- 28:31 – Effectiveness of a CPAP machine vs oral appliance in treating sleep apnea.
- 39:11 – Should all dentists be diagnosing mandibular advancement splints?
- 44:43 – How to deliver sleep studies to patients and what barriers dentists face in order to treat sleep apnea.
- 58:00 – Harry talks about his 3D lab Sleepwise, and how nylon has revolutionized oral appliances.
If you’re a dental student or graduate, here are 4 ways I can help you transition to private practice.
- Download the 10 Tips to Successfully Transition to Private Practice – This is a culmination of the things i’ve learnt over the years that I think are worth considering for all grads. I’ve included reference links throughout.
- Check Out The 4Sight Dental On Demand Webinar – We cover communication, getting a job and excelling in that job with Dr Omid Azami, Dr Jesse Green and myself!
- Find the CPD you need on CPD Junkie – Australia’s most comprehensive CPD Database, exclusive discounts and content.
- Clarify your goals, vision and lessons with the 4Sight Dental Journal – In fact you can get this and the webinar for 50% off! Use the code ‘DHS2020’
In this exceptionally difficult time for our profession, we need to look at the silver lining. With time, we can work on ourselves and work on our dentistry. And what better way then with RIPE Global
In a market flooded with online content, RIPE Global sits head and shoulders above the rest. Enjoy some of the most useful yet professionally created online content anywhere in the world, for just $59AUD/month.
My crown prep workflow is modelled on Lincoln’s video from the academy 3 years ago! This will change your practicing career.
We’re proud to have Invisalign Australia supporting the podcast and as an (early stage) Invisalign provider, I genuinely think providing aligners and educating yourself on orthodontic alignment will revolutionise your treatment and patient outcomes.
If you want to start your journey, Invisalign Go is the perfect stepping stone. This allows you to start with the simpler cases and build your skills and knowledge as you go.
Go to https://www.invisalign-doctor.com.au/ to find out how you can become an Invisalign provider today.
How do you find CPD? It is such a difficult task, with courses listed here and there but you never know you’ve seen them all.
www.cpdjunkie.com.au has been created to provide all Dental CPD in the one place. Search by keyword, date, discipline, location, speaker or organiser – however you want to find it, you can.
As a bonus for joining the site, you can get our Free e-book ” How to get the most out of CPD” AND get the Free photography cheat sheet created by Szabi Hant!Free Photography Cheat Sheet!
The Dental Head Start Podcast is for students and new graduates. We interview successful dentists and specialists to uncover the tips, tricks and advice to help you transition from dental school to private practice successfully.
If you like this content then I ask just one thing of you; share this with a friend who will benefit from this and help us help more students and new grads!