Mental health, happiness and gratitude are crucial to a good, fulfilling and prosperous life. But it is so easy to just live life without considering our mental health.
This podcast is a journey along the path of discovering mindfulness along two dentists who at times aligned and other times were worlds apart, but both came across mindfulness which changed their life.
This was both a fascinating story and a wake up call for me personally. Mindfulness, meditation, journaling and gratitude were key components of my life that I let slide. Talking with Viet and Chiraag helped me realise the importance of this in my life. I hope this also resonates with you. As we cannot help others if we don’t first help ourselves.
Viet and Chiraag put together the following information to help you on your mindfulness journey. Enjoy this long winding journey into mindfulness with Dr Viet Le and Dr Chiraag Devani.
There are many ways to approach our individual mental health, and this is what has worked for us personally:
M – Mindfulness
A – Appreciation/Gratitude
S – Self-worth
K – Kindness/Service
- Mindfulness: Essentially being present, non-judgmentally.
- Appreciation/Gratitude: Essentially, a “great–attitude” to your current circumstances, regardless of what is happening. A balanced perspective on what lies in front of you. A feeling of thankfulness and appreciation for what you have. It’s all about your perspective.
- Self-worth: How you feel about yourself regardless of anyone else’s opinion, and regardless of external circumstances.
- Kindness/Service: A deep analysis of your own personal intention behind your day-to-day activities and how you approach your work as a dentist.
Tools to implement MASK
- Journaling – writing down thoughts and see how they relate to M.A.S.K.
- Conscious breathing exercises – use box breathing (4x4x4x4) throughout the day to help relieve or prepare for stressful situations
- 0:45 Viet and Chiraag talk about their discovering of mindfulness and how it affected their life.
- 12:45 – What is Imposter syndrome?
- 37:34 – Methods of handling anxieties in and out of clinics.
- 54:17 – Tips on ways to become more introspective.
- 1:20:27 – Tools to help take your MASK off.
- 1:27:49 – Breathing techniques to aid in day-to-day living.
If you’re a dental student or graduate, here are 4 ways I can help you transition to private practice.
- Download the 10 Tips to Successfully Transition to Private Practice – This is a culmination of the things i’ve learnt over the years that I think are worth considering for all grads. I’ve included reference links throughout.
- Check Out The 4Sight Dental On Demand Webinar – We cover communication, getting a job and excelling in that job with Dr Omid Azami, Dr Jesse Green and myself!
- Find the CPD you need on CPD Junkie – Australia’s most comprehensive CPD Database, exclusive discounts and content.
- Clarify your goals, vision and lessons with the 4Sight Dental Journal – In fact you can get this and the webinar for 50% off! Use the code ‘DHS2020’
In this exceptionally difficult time for our profession, we need to look at the silver lining. With time, we can work on ourselves and work on our dentistry. And what better way then with RIPE Global
In a market flooded with online content, RIPE Global sits head and shoulders above the rest. Enjoy some of the most useful yet professionally created online content anywhere in the world, for just $59AUD/month.
- Access to over 200 hours of lecture recordings and clinical videos.
- Phone, email and chat support
- 4 Dentistry Fundamentals courses per year (valued at $1075). (Restoration Fundamentals is an example of this style of product.)
- 4 Exclusive Live and interactive Q&A sessions per year (valued at $10K)
My crown prep workflow is modelled on Lincoln’s video from the academy 3 years ago! This will change your practicing career.
BOQ Specialist offer a great banking package for graduates. This package includes an everyday bank account with no monthly, annual or ongoing account keeping fees, an optional overdraft with no establishment fee and no repayments required until 1 July the year after you graduate, a credit card with no fees for five years and an optional car loan.
Having worked closely with medical professionals for over 30 years, BOQ Specialist understand the unique challenges we can face at the beginning of our careers.
Whether it’s relocation costs, everyday living expenses, buying a new car or even saving for a first home – BOQ Specialist have a range of banking products and services to help. For more information, click here.
Exclusive Discount for DHS Listeners
If you want to learn from these exceptional courses and teachers, sign up with the following codes to get 10% off their ENTIRE RANGE of courses! Expires 30th June 2022. Available to dental students and graduates within 5 years of graduation.
In this episode I share my personal experience with Orthodontics training and alignment of my own teeth. A preface for the journey we’re about to embark on.
How do you find CPD? It is such a difficult task, with courses listed here and there but you never know you’ve seen them all.
www.cpdjunkie.com.au has been created to provide all Dental CPD in the one place. Search by keyword, date, discipline, location, speaker or organiser – however you want to find it, you can.
As a bonus for joining the site, you can get our Free e-book ” How to get the most out of CPD” AND get the Free photography cheat sheet created by Szabi Hant!Free Photography Cheat Sheet!
The Dental Head Start Podcast is for students and new graduates. We interview successful dentists and specialists to uncover the tips, tricks and advice to help you transition from dental school to private practice successfully.
If you like this content then I ask just one thing of you; share this with a friend who will benefit from this and help us help more students and new grads!