If you are a part of the Facebook Group DPR then you know Dr Andrew Thorpe. A generous contributor to questions simple and complex as well as someone who shares work that allows us less experienced dentists and students aspire.
Continuing this sharing of knowledge, Andrew went into implant education early on in his journey and has a particular interest in implant complications. Sharing his experiences with you so you don’t have to experience it yourself. Andrew is still actively learning himself having completed a Grad Dip in Oral Implants and now Grad Dip in Surgical Dentistry.
For all the graduates and students reading this is a must listen. Learning his experience is captivating but his direct advice to those early on in their career is powerful and helpful.
In this episode:
- Dr Andrew Thorpe’s journey to where he is today.
- Advice for graduates including how he recommends going from simple to complex dentistry.
- It is a marathon not a sprint. Start off slow.
- How Andrew anaesthetises a hot pulp on a lower 6, the answer was news to me and will shape my practice in these situations
- Discussion around both the James Cook University Graduate Diploma in Oral Implants and the University of Sydney Graduate Diploma in Surgical Dentistry.
- The Dunning-Kruger effect – i’ve got more thoughts on this, blog coming soon
- Thoughts and experience with the RACDS Primaries
If you’re a dental student or graduate, here are 4 ways I can help you transition to private practice.
- Download the 10 Tips to Successfully Transition to Private Practice – This is a culmination of the things i’ve learnt over the years that I think are worth considering for all grads. I’ve included reference links throughout.
- Check Out The 4Sight Dental On Demand Webinar – We cover communication, getting a job and excelling in that job with Dr Omid Azami, Dr Jesse Green and myself!
- Find the CPD you need on CPD Junkie – Australia’s most comprehensive CPD Database, exclusive discounts and content.
- Clarify your goals, vision and lessons with the 4Sight Dental Journal – In fact you can get this and the webinar for 50% off! Use the code ‘DHS2020’
In this exceptionally difficult time for our profession, we need to look at the silver lining. With time, we can work on ourselves and work on our dentistry. And what better way then with RIPE Global
In a market flooded with online content, RIPE Global sits head and shoulders above the rest. Enjoy some of the most useful yet professionally created online content anywhere in the world, for just $59AUD/month.
- Access to over 200 hours of lecture recordings and clinical videos.
- Phone, email and chat support
- 4 Dentistry Fundamentals courses per year (valued at $1075). (Restoration Fundamentals is an example of this style of product.)
- 4 Exclusive Live and interactive Q&A sessions per year (valued at $10K)
My crown prep workflow is modelled on Lincoln’s video from the academy 3 years ago! This will change your practicing career.
How do you find CPD? It is such a difficult task, with courses listed here and there but you never know you’ve seen them all.
www.cpdjunkie.com.au has been created to provide all Dental CPD in the one place. Search by keyword, date, discipline, location, speaker or organiser – however you want to find it, you can.
As a bonus for joining the site, you can get our Free e-book ” How to get the most out of CPD” AND get the Free photography cheat sheet created by Szabi Hant! Free Photography Cheat Sheet!
The Dental Head Start Podcast is for students and new graduates. We interview successful dentists and specialists to uncover the tips, tricks and advice to help you transition from dental school to private practice successfully.
If you like this content then I ask just one thing of you; share this with a friend who will benefit from this and help us help more students and new grads!