Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Get The Podcast Straight to Your Player Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS | More
When we graduate from dental school, most of us think our only path in dentistry is to become a clinical dentist working out of a dental clinic. A/Prof Matthew (Matt is preferred) Hopcraft has chosen a different avenue of practicing dentistry, as he is making a huge impact on communities in Australia because of it.
Matt is a recognised leader and expert in dental public health and advocacy and has been instrumental in not only advocating on behalf of the dental profession, but also relaying information to dentists themselves since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Matt shares some great stories about his experiences of working in the army, becoming CEO of the Australian Dental Association Victorian Branch, and taking part in the hit series Masterchef Australia.
Enjoy this fun episode as we talk to Matt about all the great things he has been doing in his extensive career.
- 2:23 – How Matt started his oral health and dentistry journey.
- 14:35 – Lessons Matt learned from working in the army after graduating dental school.
- 25:17 – Why Matt works in the ADA and other advocacy groups.
- 34:08 – Matt’s experience as a guest on Masterchef.
- 47:25 – How Matt ended up as the CEO of ADAVB.
- 1:07:04 – Advice and tips Matt has for new graduate dentist.
If you’re a dental student or graduate, here are 4 ways I can help you transition to private practice.
- Download the 10 Tips to Successfully Transition to Private Practice – This is a culmination of the things i’ve learnt over the years that I think are worth considering for all grads. I’ve included reference links throughout.
- Check Out The 4Sight Dental On Demand Webinar – We cover communication, getting a job and excelling in that job with Dr Omid Azami, Dr Jesse Green and myself!
- Find the CPD you need on CPD Junkie – Australia’s most comprehensive CPD Database, exclusive discounts and content.
- Clarify your goals, vision and lessons with the 4Sight Dental Journal – In fact you can get this and the webinar for 50% off! Use the code ‘DHS2020’
My Journey So Far
The OrthoEd Segment is a partnership between OrthoEd and Dental Head Start, aiming to bring you on the journey of the OrthoEd Mini Masters and my personal journey of orthodontic treatment.
We’ll be creating 20 episodes over this year with a goal of providing a taste of what OrthoEd can provide and actionable tips and advice straight from the OrthoEd Educators. To view our entire OrthoEd Segment Series and for more information on how you can step up your own orthodontic game, visit our OrthoEd page.
Exclusive Discount for DHS Listeners
If you want to learn from these exceptional courses and teachers, sign up with the following codes to get 10% off their ENTIRE RANGE of courses! Expires 30th June 2022. Available to dental students and graduates within 5 years of graduation.
In this exceptionally difficult time for our profession, we need to look at the silver lining. With time, we can work on ourselves and work on our dentistry. And what better way then with RIPE Global
In a market flooded with online content, RIPE Global sits head and shoulders above the rest. Enjoy some of the most useful yet professionally created online content anywhere in the world, for just $59AUD/month.
- Access to over 200 hours of lecture recordings and clinical videos.
- Phone, email and chat support
- 4 Dentistry Fundamentals courses per year (valued at $1075). (Restoration Fundamentals is an example of this style of product.)
- 4 Exclusive Live and interactive Q&A sessions per year (valued at $10K)
My crown prep workflow is modelled on Lincoln’s video from the academy 3 years ago! This will change your practicing career.
Dental Protection Limited
Dental Protection we’re the first to come on board supporting dental students and graduates through the Dental Head Start Podcast and now they’re stepping up again by release the new publication Young Dental Practitioners as well as the Survival guide, their e-Learning platform ‘Prism’ and Sign up for Risk Wise Connect. Find it at the links or on their Facebook Page.
BOQ Specialist offer a great banking package for graduates. This package includes an everyday bank account with no monthly, annual or ongoing account keeping fees, an optional overdraft with no establishment fee and no repayments required until 1 July the year after you graduate, a credit card with no fees for five years and an optional car loan.
Having worked closely with medical professionals for over 30 years, BOQ Specialist understand the unique challenges we can face at the beginning of our careers.
Whether it’s relocation costs, everyday living expenses, buying a new car or even saving for a first home – BOQ Specialist have a range of banking products and services to help. For more information, click here.
How do you find CPD? It is such a difficult task, with courses listed here and there but you never know you’ve seen them all.
www.cpdjunkie.com.au has been created to provide all Dental CPD in the one place. Search by keyword, date, discipline, location, speaker or organiser – however you want to find it, you can.
As a bonus for joining the site, you can get our Free e-book ” How to get the most out of CPD” AND get the Free photography cheat sheet created by Szabi Hant!Free Photography Cheat Sheet!
The Dental Head Start Podcast is for students and new graduates. We interview successful dentists and specialists to uncover the tips, tricks and advice to help you transition from dental school to private practice successfully.
If you like this content then I ask just one thing of you; share this with a friend who will benefit from this and help us help more students and new grads!