“Why do you want to be a dentist?” The cliché response to this common question is that we want to help people. And it goes without saying, our general dentistry does this. But there is so much more that is possible.
Community engagement, public health policy, volunteering and health advocacy are all areas that can make a wider impact. And Dr Mohit Tolani does them all.
Mohit and I were lucky enough to meet at the Graduate of the Year Mini Residency in 2017. We were fresh out of University and ready to change the world. Interestingly, Mohit is well on his way.
His education pathway and community involvement all demonstrates his dedication to the community and oral health outcomes at large. This is inspiring stuff for those who want to give back.
- 5:55 – What made Mohit want to contribute to the greater community.
- 9:05 – Mohit’s journey getting into healthcare and drivers that lead him into dentistry.
- 18:30 – Finding the time to be a father, dentist, and do everything Mohit does.
- 29:09 – Public vs private working experiences.
- 50:00 – What policies and changes Mohit wants to see in the dental profession in the future.
- 58:27 – Experiences working with the Royal flying doctor service.
If you’re a dental student or graduate, here are 4 ways I can help you transition to private practice.
- Download the 10 Tips to Successfully Transition to Private Practice – This is a culmination of the things i’ve learnt over the years that I think are worth considering for all grads. I’ve included reference links throughout.
- Check Out The 4Sight Dental On Demand Webinar – We cover communication, getting a job and excelling in that job with Dr Omid Azami, Dr Jesse Green and myself!
- Find the CPD you need on CPD Junkie – Australia’s most comprehensive CPD Database, exclusive discounts and content.
- Clarify your goals, vision and lessons with the 4Sight Dental Journal – In fact you can get this and the webinar for 50% off! Use the code ‘DHS2020’
My Journey So Far
The OrthoEd Segment is a partnership between OrthoEd and Dental Head Start, aiming to bring you on the journey of the OrthoEd Mini Masters and my personal journey of orthodontic treatment.
We’ll be creating 20 episodes over this year with a goal of providing a taste of what OrthoEd can provide and actionable tips and advice straight from the OrthoEd Educators. To view our entire OrthoEd Segment Series and for more information on how you can step up your own orthodontic game, visit our OrthoEd page.
Exclusive Discount for DHS Listeners
If you want to learn from these exceptional courses and teachers, sign up with the following codes to get 10% off their ENTIRE RANGE of courses! Expires 30th June 2022. Available to dental students and graduates within 5 years of graduation.
Dental Practitioner Support
Dental Practitioner Support is the first national 24/7 telephone and online service to support dental practitioner health and wellbeing in Australia.
The service is free, confidential and independent. Remember, good practice involves seeking support when you need it. Dental practitioners can call and speak to an experienced team ready to provide advice on a wide range of issues, including mental and physical health, workplace issues and general wellbeing.
Call them anytime you need, and even save the number in your phone so that it’s there on the day that you need it.
1800 377 700 or visit the website www.dpsupport.org.au
Dental Protection Limited
Dental Protection we’re the first to come on board supporting dental students and graduates through the Dental Head Start Podcast and now they’re stepping up again by release the new publication Young Dental Practitioners as well as the Survival guide, their e-Learning platform ‘Prism’ and Sign up for Risk Wise Connect. Find it at the links or on their Facebook Page.