If you are a part of the Facebook Group DPR then you know Dr Andrew Thorpe. A generous contributor to questions simple and complex as well as someone who shares work that allows us less experienced dentists and students aspire.
Continuing this sharing of knowledge, Andrew went into implant education early on in his journey and has a particular interest in implant complications. Sharing his experiences with you so you don’t have to experience it yourself. Andrew is still actively learning himself having completed a Grad Dip in Oral Implants and now Grad Dip in Surgical Dentistry.
For all the graduates and students reading this is a must listen. Learning his experience is captivating but his direct advice to those early on in their career is powerful and helpful.
In this episode:
- Dr Andrew Thorpe’s journey to where he is today.
- Advice for graduates including how he recommends going from simple to complex dentistry.
- It is a marathon not a sprint. Start off slow.
- How Andrew anaesthetises a hot pulp on a lower 6, the answer was news to me and will shape my practice in these situations
- Discussion around both the James Cook University Graduate Diploma in Oral Implants and the University of Sydney Graduate Diploma in Surgical Dentistry.
- The Dunning-Kruger effect – i’ve got more thoughts on this, blog coming soon
- Thoughts and experience with the RACDS Primaries
The Dental Head Start Podcast is for students and new graduates. We interview successful dentists and specialists to uncover the tips, tricks and advice to help you transition from dental school to private practice successfully.
If you like this content then I ask just one thing of you; share this with a friend who will benefit from this and help us help more students and new grads! Thanks.