The solution has to come from within dentistryKate Miranda, Filling The Gap
We get into healthcare to help. Yet it is all too easy to find ourselves busy with work, family and other objectives and neglect our potential to give back.
I, unfortunately, fall into this space now.
But it is not as hard as we think, Filling the Gap, an ADA NSW charity, supports dentists in their efforts to volunteer their time. In combination with the Australian Dental Health Foundation, Filling The Gap makes Volunteering easy.
Adopt A Patient – help on patient through a course of care, in your clinic however often suits you. Or
Rescue days – run a relief of pain clinic in your office.
Two key ways to give back. And they need dentists, with the skills you have, NOW.
Go to www.fillingthegap.org.au to register your interest and find out more. If we all do a little, we can change a lot.
I had the pleasure of chatting with Kate Miranda from Filling The Gap. Kate is an asset to ADA NSW and Filling The Gap as a Journalist with years of experience in media and politics. She has quite the vision and I hope as a profession we can make it happen.
In This Episode
- 00:27 – Kate explains what “Filling the Gap” is, and her journey in media and politics.
- 14:05 – How Kate transitioned to become the General Manager of Filling the Gap
- 21:32 – Australian Dental Health Foundation and “Adopting a patient”
- 30:04 – Dental Rescue Day, and how YOU can get involved.
- 42:33 – The future ambition of Filling the Gap with Education Programs and advocating more dentists and dental students to join the cause.
- Filling The Gap
- For those outside of NSW, The Australian Dental Health Foundation can assist you in providing pro-bono care for those who need it most.
In this exceptionally difficult time for our profession, we need to look at the silver lining. With time, we can work on ourselves and work on our dentistry. And what better way then the RIPE Academy by Restoring Excellence.
In an attempt to make it affordable for all around the world, it is just $29USD per month for some of the most valuable online content anywhere in the world.
My crown prep workflow is modelled on Lincoln’s video from the academy 3 years ago!
I hope to share the benefits and exclusive offers through DHS. Check out their Online Academy!
We’re proud to have Invisalign Australia supporting the podcast and as an (early stage) Invisalign provider, I genuinely think providing aligners and educating yourself on orthodontic alignment will revolutionise your treatment and patient outcomes.
If you want to start your journey, Invisalign Go is the perfect stepping stone. This allows you to start with the simpler cases and build your skills and knowledge as you go.
Go to https://www.invisalign-doctor.com.au/ to find out how you can become an Invisalign provider today.
How do you find CPD? It is such a difficult task, with courses listed here and there but you never know you’ve seen them all.
www.cpdjunkie.com.au has been created to provide all Dental CPD in the one place. Search by keyword, date, discipline, location, speaker or organiser – however you want to find it, you can.
Make an account and you gain access to:
- Alerts – get emailed when courses on the topics you love are released
- Wishlist – make a list of your favourites
- Reviews – review your favourite courses and see reviews from your peers before you make the commitment
- CPD log – track your cpd in one place
- CPD Junkie Newsletter – cpd tips, newest courses and industry updates. FREE!
Make your account now and get your next CPD Fix.
The Dental Head Start Podcast is for students and new graduates. We interview successful dentists and specialists to uncover the tips, tricks and advice to help you transition from dental school to private practice successfully.
If you like this content then I ask just one thing of you; share this with a friend who will benefit from this and help us help more students and new grads!