If you know Sahil, you know this is packed with useful advice, tips and stories to help you grow.
But it is also a roller coaster of experiences. Some of the highest highs and hardest lows in his life are shared with a simple goal:
“If it will help one other person, it is worth sharing.”
This philosophy has made Sahil one of the most respected dentists in Australia. And it is for good reason. He shares tips generously and openly, he shares his struggles and supports others going through the same. Along with Dr Steve Tiang and Dr Soo-wee Ong, he tirelessly gives his time to moderate and share our questions anonymously on DPR. And consistently, Sahil supports and fights for those of us in more vulnerable positions, often graduates.
Sahil generously shares in this discussion. We learn about why he pushes to achieve the dentistry he does. He takes us on the journey that took him from India to New Zealand, into dentistry and then his first few experiences with private practice. He shares his path into private practice and out of it again as well as the life events that precipitated this. And a chat with Sahil isn’t complete without discussing rubber dam and tips for graduates.
This may be aimed at students and graduates, but for anyone in the Australian dental community, this is a must listen.
In This Episode
- 05:27 – Sahil’s drive to improve, to teach, and his experiences as a new graduate in the field.
- 10:19 – Challenges moving from India to New Zealand, decisions that lead to choosing dentistry, and getting accepted into dental school.
- 17:56 – Reflections on Sahil’s first job.
- 27:05 – Sahil’s journey to practice ownership.
- 36:20 – Life events that lead to leaving practice ownership.
- 40:31 – Sahil’s perspective on associateship .
- 44:28 – CPD courses that improved Sahil’s skills, courses he would recommend, and advice on using rubber dam.
- 58:34 – Sahil’s plans and aspirations for his future career.
- 1:07:04 – Benefits of taking photos, critiquing yourself, and developing your skills.
- 1:15:15 – Sahil talks about mistakes he sees new graduates make and shares some wonderful advice relating to dentistry, and to life.
- 1:24:31 – How to keep a healthy mental state during the transition from school to full time work.
- Oral Surgery course with Australian Institute of Advanced Dentistry
- Dr Sahil Soni’s Rubber Dam Isolation Course
Prime Head Start
The Prime Head Start Segment is right after the feature interview and this episode it’s with Brett Churnin about the real key to making relationships with our patients and that is building trust. Without trust, no patient will return and we wont be doing the work we want and the work that improves our patients oral health.
HUGE DISCOUNTS! Prime Practice are running a huge special to celebrate ADX. They are offering 60% off Primespeak for Students and graduates – that is incredible! Saving you over $1700 it is a bargain. Also, all other courses are 40% off for EVERYONE! Really big savings, so if you’ve been on the fence, perhaps now is the time to dive in! Find out more at their website. www.primepractice.com.au
For Dental Head Start listeners, Prime Practice are offering their leading communication course, Primespeak, at 15% off for everyone and a massive 50% off for students and recent graduates. Check out www.dentalheadstart.com/primeheadstart to get your hands on the discount codes.
We’re also proudly supported by BOQ Specialist who offer a student banking package. Check that out here . Terms and Conditions apply
In this exceptionally difficult time for our profession, we need to look at the silver lining. With time, we can work on ourselves and work on our dentistry. And what better way then the RIPE Academy by Restoring Excellence.
In an attempt to make it affordable for all around the world, it is just $29USD per month for some of the most valuable online content anywhere in the world.
My crown prep workflow is modelled on Lincoln’s video from the academy 3 years ago!
I hope to share the benefits and exclusive offers through DHS. Check out their Online Academy!
How do you find CPD? It is such a difficult task, with courses listed here and there but you never know you’ve seen them all.
www.cpdjunkie.com.au has been created to provide all Dental CPD in the one place. Search by keyword, date, discipline, location, speaker or organiser – however you want to find it, you can.
Make an account and you gain access to:
- Alerts – get emailed when courses on the topics you love are released
- Wishlist – make a list of your favourites
- Reviews – review your favourite courses and see reviews from your peers before you make the commitment
- CPD log – track your cpd in one place
- CPD Junkie Newsletter – cpd tips, newest courses and industry updates. FREE!
Make your account now and get your next CPD Fix.
The Dental Head Start Podcast is for students and new graduates. We interview successful dentists and specialists to uncover the tips, tricks and advice to help you transition from dental school to private practice successfully.
If you like this content then I ask just one thing of you; share this with a friend who will benefit from this and help us help more students and new grads!
For every share and tag on social media, we provide dental hygiene to a child for a day. For every listen to the podcast, we provide drinking water to someone for a day. Find out more at www.dentalheadstart.com/giving