Great dentistry requires a team. Reception staff, dental assistants and, if you’re lucky enough, hygienists/oral health therapists.
The benefits of a strong hygiene team are clear. Comprehensive care for the gingival health of our patients, another clinician able to identify and discuss treatment and crucially, the dentists time is freed up to focus on restorative and surgical procedures.
We train relatively isolated from our oral health therapist colleagues and graduate without a strong understanding of where they fit into the private practice setting.
With our first hygienist guest, Salik Faniad, on the Dental Head Start Podcast, I hope this to open your eyes to the potential of a hygiene team. I said it multiple times in the interview, Salik’s passion is infectious and I hope this motivates you as much as it motivated me.
In This Episode
- 4:45 – Changes in the hygiene profession since the clinics have reopened following COVID19, and new restrictions in place.
- 7:41 – Getting to know Salik Faniad
- 13:40 – Salik discussing the importance and benefit of being a dental assistant, even if its only once a week.
- 19:36 – What to look for in terms of mentorship from a hiring dentist.
- 25:46 – How does a hygienist benefit the practice
- 35:13 – How to approach a conservation with a patient who has been visiting a dentist and their dental health has been neglected due to fear of delivering an expensive treatment plan
- 40:11 – How a hygienist fits into the team
- 52:09 – Use of lasers for in dentistry, for perio specifically.
- 59:45 – Salik’s advice to students and young practitioners in the field
In this exceptionally difficult time for our profession, we need to look at the silver lining. With time, we can work on ourselves and work on our dentistry. And what better way then the RIPE Academy by Restoring Excellence.
In an attempt to make it affordable for all around the world, it is just $29USD per month for some of the most valuable online content anywhere in the world.
My crown prep workflow is modelled on Lincoln’s video from the academy 3 years ago!
I hope to share the benefits and exclusive offers through DHS. Check out their Online Academy!
We’re proud to have Invisalign Australia supporting the podcast and as an (early stage) Invisalign provider, I genuinely think providing aligners and educating yourself on orthodontic alignment will revolutionise your treatment and patient outcomes.
If you want to start your journey, Invisalign Go is the perfect stepping stone. This allows you to start with the simpler cases and build your skills and knowledge as you go.
Go to https://www.invisalign-doctor.com.au/ to find out how you can become an Invisalign provider today.
How do you find CPD? It is such a difficult task, with courses listed here and there but you never know you’ve seen them all.
www.cpdjunkie.com.au has been created to provide all Dental CPD in the one place. Search by keyword, date, discipline, location, speaker or organiser – however you want to find it, you can.
As a bonus for joining the site, you can get our Free e-book ” Ho to get the most out of CPD” AND get the Free photography cheat sheet created by Szabi Hant!
The Dental Head Start Podcast is for students and new graduates. We interview successful dentists and specialists to uncover the tips, tricks and advice to help you transition from dental school to private practice successfully.
If you like this content then I ask just one thing of you; share this with a friend who will benefit from this and help us help more students and new grads!